Bishop Sharma Lewis sent out a letter this week to all Conference churches calling for help for the current crisis situations in Afghanistan and Haiti. A copy of her letter was posted on the Tabernacle Facebook page. You may also read it online on the Virginia Conference website, VAUMC | Virginia United Methodist Conference or request a copy from the church office.
Here are ways to respond to Bishop Lewis’s plea:
- Join the Prayer Vigil on August 26 at 7:00 pm remembering the victims of the earthquake in Haiti and lifting up the work of relief through a virtual prayer vigil.
- The prayer vigil will be premiered on Youtube and VAUMC’s Facebook page: Virginia Conference of The United Methodist Church | Facebook
- Give to UMCOR’s relief and recovery efforts:
- To support the U.S. and U.S. territories, give to S. Disaster Response Advance #901670.
- To give to Haiti and Afghanistan, please donate to International Disaster Response Advance #982450.
- UMCOR Undesignated, Advance #999895 supports UMCOR’s work around the world as needed.
- To keep relief supplies such as humanitarian kits, in stock, give to Material Resources Advance #901440.
All of your gifts to UMCOR, 100 percent, will be used to help those in need. To donate funds, please make your check out to Tabernacle UMC, and write the UMCOR Advance # of your choice on the memo line of your check or designate as such when giving online through the Tabernacle.
- Give to the VAUMC Disaster Relief to Eglise Methodiste d’Haiti – This fund will help the churches of EMH directly impacted by the earthquake to help their recovery. This fund will also be used to provide food, water filters, kits, and tarps directly to people in the circuits (districts) impacted. Please note this on your memo lines.